Sunday, April 8, 2012

Headaches


Now I don't know if you know the story of me battling with headaches as a child, but when I was younger I suffered from very severe headaches that caused me to black out and throw up.  My parents went to great lengths to find out what was causing me to have such terrible headaches and were very worried for my health.  Well after one cat scan reveled nothing, the doctors on the case just assumed there had to be pressure somewhere surrounding my brain that caused my headaches.  Well, then it was suggested that surgeons drill random holes into me head time.  Luckily for me, my parents were against this but were still at a lose.  I was then involved in a car accident with my father, after this accident I am not sure how but we went to see a chiropractor.  Well after the chiropractic exam the doctor said I think I can help with your headaches.  So about 8 months after treatment I was headache free, and I continued this way to this day (as long as I get a "tune up").  If you know someone who might be suffering from headaches and would like to see if chiropractic can help them please get them to your local chiropractor.

In a recent poll, done by ABC News, USA Today, and the Stanford University Medical Center, of 1,204 American Adults more than half of respondents reported chronic or recurrent pain and nearly as many said that they have had pain in the previous two weeks.  Of pain types listed, headache pain was the third most common experienced.  This isn’t surprising given that an estimated 90% of men and 95% of women have had at least one headache in the previous 12 months.  What’s surprising is that the poll also shows that 48% of those in pain said they had no idea what was causing their pain- and 33% said they used over the counter drugs every day or at least once a week.  Pain relieving medications generally fail to address the cause of the pain and they certainly can’t prevent future pain, and in the case of headaches, it is possible that abrupt withdrawal of the drug can cause additional pain, known as rebound headaches.   Wouldn’t it make sense to seek a method that of treatment that first explores the cause of your headaches and then addresses the cause while also working to relive your pain?  Fortunately, your Doctor of Chiropractic intends to do just that – diagnose treat, and prevent headaches.  If clinically necessary, diagnostic tests may include x-rays, neurological, orthopedic, and laboratory work-up.  Treatment can only happen after a diagnosis of your headache type and a conclusion is reached as to what causes your pain have been established, then treatment can begin.  If chiropractic care will best meet your needs, treatment will begin after it is first outlined and explained to you.  Chiropractic uses several means of treatment to reach the desired results.  To know how to avoid future headaches, you must first know what is causing them.  As this will be a crucial part of your chiropractic experience, headache avoidance will be much easier post-chiropractic.  Because everyone’s headaches are cause by different factors, it is impossible to predict what means will be necessary for you to prevent headache pain.  If you often have headaches following skipped meals, for instance, you will be advised to eat at regular intervals.  If your headaches are carcinogenic in nature, advice on maintaining normality in the structures of the neck – such as improved posture, stretching and relaxation techniques, may be discussed.


No comments:

Post a Comment